Kayak decision time

BedDog
Hey all, just joined, not many users here but I'll post the question anyway. I'm an older guy (62) but in pretty good shape, I'm getting ready to retire in about 3 years and will be moving to the North Carolina coast, currently I live in southern New England.

I'm getting ready to make my first Kayak purchase and need some advice as to which kayak would be best suited for my needs to buy. It's a big decision and I don't want to make the wrong decision when spending that amount of money for a piece of plastic.

I would like the kayak to work well in both fresh and salt water. I'm going to use it primarily for fishing in brackish water just off the coast of North Carolina (when I retire) where a major river forms a bay that is protected by barrier islands and dumps into the ocean.

I would also like to use it up here in New England before I retire. I have the same situation here in Connecticut where I live just a few miles away from several rivers that form a bay and dump into the Long Island Sound. I also have several decent size lakes just a few miles away that are fresh water.

A lot of guys up here in Ct love the Hobies with their Mirage drives for fishing for stripers, blues, and fluke in the Long Island Sound, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense. I understand that being able to be out on your kayak and fishing hands free is a BIG plus, but again, I'm not sure it's a big enough plus to justify the expense, and there are many "Yakers" up here that do just fine without the mirage drives.

Yesterday I saw a 2 year old Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 for sale for around $800, I've also been looking at the Jackson Kayaks Big Rig but would have to order one new if I wanted it. I know Ocean Kayaks makes some nice fishing kayaks as well as others.

Any help sorting this out would be greatly appreciated. Making a mistake is one thing, making an expensive mistake is a whole other kind of pain, LOL. Thanks, Dog

Re: Kayak decision time

KayakDIY
Administrator
Wilderness Systems Tarpon or Ride series are smooth paddlers.  I also own a Viking kayak which is stable and phenomenal to paddle.  These kayaks are SOT kayaks not meant for standing on (stand fishing).  The first two mentioned can usually be found used in most areas.  Hobies in Florida can be had occasionally for around $1000 or less in used market if you look hard enough.  The other option is if pedal drives don't work and you are concerned with going decent distance a small Watersnake motor (7lbs) with a 34ah battery (15lbs) does the job.  Several Ocean kayak models are great for multiple bodies of water.  I prefer their fishing models, but if you find a recreational model that fits your need adding rod holders is easy and cheap. It really depends on your budget.  At $800 you are in the price range of great fishing kayaks like Kaku Wahoo, FeelFree Lures (has wheel in keel for easy transport), Vibe Seaghost, and more.  Hope the info/opinion helps.  Check out the channel to get ideas of other possible kayaks.  Then search craigslist for some.