Kayak Hitch Rack

Craig
I am thinking about buying the Lund Hitch Rack.  I am most likely going to use it in the horizontal position bed position, but I may have to use it in the vertical, roof position for bed space at times.

Can anyone recommend a good rack to put on the roof off the truck to support the front of the kayaks when the rack is in the vertical, roof mount position?

Re: Kayak Hitch Rack

Skippy
Not a lot of interests in these posts it appears. We'll see how long I stay with this site if we don't get more action. But to this post I say I have recently found something that may be useful for you putting your kayak on your truck roof and extended out the back of the truck. The URL below is of a YouTube showing how the HandiRack works. It is an inflatable car to protector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRJLbfMiE4
And that's the way the cookie crumbles.
bob

Re: Kayak Hitch Rack

bob
I hear that the Thule racks are pretty nice and on other forums they are pretty common.  I'm looking into the same thing right now but am not finding alot because my truck is relatively new (2016)

Re: Kayak Hitch Rack

KayakDIY
Administrator
It depends if you have rails on your roof to support cross bars or not.  Also if the kayak is lightweight or a heavier kayak like a Hobie PA the options are different.  You could do a simple padded system like the Malone Roof Pads.  You could go with a generic universal roof crossbar setup.  Lastly, you could go with a Yakima or Thule car specific crossbar setup.  I would only likely go with an expensive Yakima or Thule setup if my kayak was expensive or heavy.  Else I would look at a simple universal setup, or padded system. We have some of the most common recommended setups in our Amazon store if you want to take a look.