DIY Electric Motors on Kayaks - Share Experiences & Photos

DIY Electric Motors on Kayaks - Share Experiences & Photos

KayakDIY
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Curious on what you recommend for a DIY trolling motor build/design on an SOT kayak or Sit in kayak.  I own both types of kayaks and curious what others have done.  I know some companies such as Hobie have done this (example: $2k+ evolve torqueedo package).

**Share your photos & experience.  Any help you can provide to the KayakDIY community will be appreciated I am sure.  We have had several ask about this on the KayakDIY YouTube Channel.

Re: DIY Electric Motors on Kayaks - Share Experiences & Photos

Richard
I have just modified a MinnKota 30lb thrust for my Hobie PA. Mounted on the stern, looks and works great. One thing I have learned about trolling motors is the shaft that runs to the motor is not sealed and water will go down the shaft and ruin the motor. So take the head off the motor and seal the shaft with silicone. If you never expect to turn your yak over then you don't have a problem.

Here are some ideas for kayak motors.  I created a DIY Motor Playlist on the YouTube channel in order to hopefully help folks with figuring out ways to retrofit their yaks with motor setups.

Re: DIY Electric Motors on Kayaks - Share Experiences & Photos

KayakDIY
Administrator
That is a great tip!  Definitely noticed on the Watersnake ASP T24 motors we use that the shaft is hollow and water can easily enter the magnet area of the motor and seize the motor with rust.  We haven't used silicone but rather use marine epoxy which comes in a syringe.  You can get that marine epoxy from places like Home Depot.  Just need to make sure the epoxy doesn't run down into the motor else you seize the motor anyway. HAHA.  Since doing that to the motors it has really bulletproofed them and made them ultra reliable.  We sell the Watersnake Motors in our KayakDIY Amazon Store.