DIY Electric Motors on Kayaks - Share Experiences & Photos

DIY Electric Motors on Kayaks - Share Experiences & Photos

KayakDIY
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Curious on what you recommend for a DIY trolling motor build/design on an SOT kayak or Sit in kayak.  I own both types of kayaks and curious what others have done.  I know some companies such as Hobie have done this (example: $2k+ evolve torqueedo package).

**Share your photos & experience.  Any help you can provide to the KayakDIY community will be appreciated I am sure.  We have had several ask about this on the KayakDIY YouTube Channel.

Re: DIY Electric Motors on Kayaks - Share Experiences & Photos

Richard
I have just modified a MinnKota 30lb thrust for my Hobie PA. Mounted on the stern, looks and works great. One thing I have learned about trolling motors is the shaft that runs to the motor is not sealed and water will go down the shaft and ruin the motor. So take the head off the motor and seal the shaft with silicone. If you never expect to turn your yak over then you don't have a problem.